Friday, January 23, 2015

Quiltmaker

Good morning world,
Here is my next publication, Quiltmaker's March/April 2015 issue, called Haute Ziggity. On newsstand 2/2.
 
 
I'm really excited about this one. Herringbone designs had been popular in the quilt world, and well, I wanted to do one in my own unique way. I had thought of strips and whacking them. So that's exactly how I did it. I cut 1" to 1 1/2" strip, stripped pieced them, and then using my handy dandy ruler at the 45 degree line, I cut out my diamonds. Cut out the white fabric, and then pieced them in rows. This quilt is actually easier to put together than you would think.
 
I did have some grief on laying out the diamonds per my design. There's actually 10 shapes (8 diamonds and 2 triangles). I had to take it nice and slow when laying out the quilt, but other than that the construction is easy peasy.
 
I simply straight line channel quilted it with my quarter inch foot on my domestic machine. I let the distance between each line vary around a quarter inch.
 
 
I design quilts one of two ways, EQ7 or pencil to paper on old fashion graph paper. This one was done the old fashion way, with colored pencils. When I'm designing, I have a thought in my head, will the actual quilt turn out just as beautifully as I colored it in. This one did.
 
 
I want to thank my sponsors. Fabric by Alison Glass' Field Day, Chambray, and Textured Solids, all for Andover Fabrics. The batting is Warm & White by the Warm Company. All the thread is Aurifil.
 
There's also another shout out to Quiltmaker. I've really enjoyed working with them and I'm so blessed to be given the opportunity to design and make for them.

While I have your attention, let me tell you about an awesome opportunity to purchase my book, Scrap Patchwork. I have my independent quilt pattern collection. If you love what you see here, you're going to love my book and patterns.
 
https://www.etsy.com/shop/makeitblossom?ref=hdr_shop_menu
 
Till next time,
Sandra



4 comments:

  1. I want to make this quilt, but in a queen size. How much fabric will I need?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to make this quilt! Where can I get the pattern?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hello sherry. you can find a pdf on my etsy store or get a hardcopy sent to you thru my website's store. there's a link for etsy on my blog's right sidebar and on my menu, there's a link to my website. thanks.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...